October 21, 2007

And on the sixth day, God created Man… chester

After a decade since my last visit, I recently returned to England. This time going to Manchester for a convention. Home to famed football club Manchester United, Coronation Street, Queer As Folk, Rolls Royce and a successful blending of new, modern architecture with traditional Victorian. Oh, and pubs. Lots of pubs. It is Britain afterall. Despite terrible food everywhere we went, Manchester buzzed with nightlife and shopping. But, with the exception of Man U’s Old Trafford stadium there are few famed sights on offer. Is it wrong that I was thrilled to sit in the players’ dressing room where David Beckham once walked naked, but could care less that Princess Anne attended our opening ceremony at the Town Hall? There was one building, however, that this architecture buff wanted to see… the Imperial War Museum designed by architect Daniel Libeskind. I love taking local transportation when in a foreign city and the location of this site would require use of the metro and then a long walk along the Sainsbury Quays and footbridge. My plan was just to view the exterior with no interest in its contents, but after learning about an exhibit on animals in war I was lured inside thankful that I judged this book by its cover and that I made an effort to do more than drink beer while in Manchester. Photos coming soon

1 comment:

Marty said...

Great place. Food is better now, but you have to know where to go. Shame about the weather..