July 22, 2007

Full house

This past weekend at the Lake House we hosted my fly guy’s co-workers… The Kids, as he calls them. The sun only shone sparingly, but we made the most of it. What do you do with a house full of guests when the weather turns? Break out the board games... and the bucket of frozen margaritas. I think games have now over ridden water sports as the activity of choice at the lake this summer since the weather has been so terrible. Over the years I somehow never learned to play poker, but this weekend that all changed. High rollin’ Pete arrived with his reggae, rock and hip hop pumpin’ iPod and his personal poker chips clasped in a metal case and immediately took over as director of entertainment. Incidentally, he also arrived with a retro waffle maker and organic sausages from Salt Spring Island that brought fond memories of Sunday breakfast like dad used to make. Anyway, my only experience with poker has been belting out the lyrics to Kenny Rogers’ rendition of The Gambler through years of underage intoxication, but beginner’s luck was on my side and I won the first three rounds. My poker face could use some work, however, not to mention a suntan. But, now when I go to Texas next year at least I’ll know how to hold ‘em.... well, or at least fold 'em. Ah, Kenny would be so proud.

No comments: