December 26, 2007

The day after

Ahh, Boxing Day. A do nothing, don’t get out of your pajamas, don’t get off the couch kind of day. Placing another chocolate in my mouth and calling it breakfast… I felt so relaxed. Yesterday was fun, but exhausting. After only a couple of hours of sleep, we “got the call” from the Fly Girl at 6:45 am on Christmas morning. She was up and so were we. We headed to her mother’s house to watch her open her stocking and have breakfast. Then clean up and head home to open our gifts. Then clean up and start cooking. Then clean up and serve dinner. Then clean up and fall into bed. Everything went like clockwork though. Placing my first ever table cloth on the table and cooking Christmas dinner for my family… I felt so grown up. And, we cooked a mean dinner. Although I swear I didn’t taste my food. The last thing I did before going to bed was open a Christmas card from my Fly Guy. I had been saving it all day for the first quiet moment to myself. Every year he spoils me rotten with thoughtful gifts. Unbelievably thoughtful. But, every Christmas I look forward to that simple Hallmark moment. I would trade any material gift for those few words from the heart... OK, not my new Salomon skis! But, placing my head on the pillow at the end of a long day, and a long year… I felt so loved.

No comments: