December 3, 2007

Sn-oh, oh!

As it rarely snows in Victoria, I absolutely LOVE it when it does. You know that it is short lived so you can truly revel in the novelty. The kids go wild as if candy is falling from the sky and everything shuts down... which I still haven’t gotten used to coming from the hinterlands of Winnipeg where you walk up hill to school both ways. I awoke Saturday morning to find it snowing and ran to the window like a child on Christmas morning. The first thing I always do when it snows is call my mom to report that it has snowed. Now that I think about it this practice is ridiculous as she practically lives in an igloo in Northwestern Ontario so snow is a belaboured point. But, she always responds with genuine excitement as only a mother can as if the snow somehow brings us closer. Now here it is December and due to no fault of our own, we still have a boat in the water at Lake Cowichan. So, when the rain quickly overtook the snow we scheduled Sunday as the day to finally pull it out not knowing that everywhere EXCEPT Victoria had been hit by snow. By time we got to Cowichan we were in the midst of a snowstorm and there was a foot and a half of snow. It was beautiful and the snowflakes were the biggest I’ve ever seen! I couldn’t help sticking my tongue out to catch them and... calling my mom. Oh, and needless to say… the boat is still in the water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't ever stop calling when it snows! It confirms to me that my girl still has a bit of Northwestern Ontario in her. And I too revel in the beauty of sparkling, new fallen snow -- nature's gift to those of us who experience true winter.