August 24, 2007

Remembering Lima

Last weekend, a devastating earthquake with a magnitude of 7.9 hit the area of Lima, Peru. Over 500 people have died, more than 1,000 people are injured and nearly 17,000 houses have been destroyed. Immediate needs for earthquake survivors include shelter, as it is winter in Peru and people need to be protected from the cold, and access to clean water. I was fortunate to visit South America last fall and fell in love with the culture. Everywhere I visited held differing yet special experiences, but it was Peru, and especially the people of Peru, who truly moved me. We enjoyed being witness to every day life, but the poverty was staggering. I returned home determined to sponsor a child and make a difference, but here it is almost a year later and I’ve done nothing. When something happens half way around the world often we turn a blind eye, but when we have visited that place it becomes personal. So, when I heard about the disaster this time I had to do something to help. Please join me in donating to the relief effort at www.redcross.ca.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too thought of you being in Peru last year and was thankful it was then not now. Because of you I have donated to the Canadian Red Cross. Bless you!

M.