August 7, 2007

Set sail

Lake Cowichan is infamous for being calm in the morning and conducive to waterskiing, but the wind gets up in the afternoon... you can almost set your watch by it. The wind makes it nearly impossible, or at least relatively unpleasant, to go out in the boat. Unless, of course, that boat is a Nacra 500 catamaran. This is the brand new “toy” that arrived at the lake this weekend. My fly guy has a love of sailing that bloomed late in life (given the Prairies aren’t exactly known for their excellent sailing) and the purchase of the new cat was a dream fulfilled. Now, I on the other hand have no sailing experience and am a little apprehensive of the entire concept. It’s not very often that this type-A Travel Girl literally throws caution to the wind, but in the spirit of trying something new and any excuse to be in the sun out on the water, I climbed aboard. I quickly learned, however, that this was no toy and that I wouldn’t be sitting back and relaxing. There was rigging and ropes, jibs and mains, tacking and jiving. Phew! I'm still trying to remember that port is the lefthand side of the sailboat and not a tawny dessert wine. I clearly have a lot to learn. But, am up to the challenge. Besides... who hasn't dreamed of sailing off into the sunset!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the afternoons with travel girl on board sailing into the sunset...:)