August 15, 2007

Floating away

I am an only child, but have one sister… my best friend of 20 years, Jenni Hampe. Oh my God, 20 years?! That is a lot of bad hair, fashion trends, boyfriends, laughs and tears. She is the one person I can call at 2:00 a.m. or not see for 2 years and feel like not a day has lapsed between us. Jenn and Bob ended their 10 day tour of BC at the Lake House this past weekend. After moving around from town to city and bed to couch (apparently Jenn hasn’t been in so many beds since her early 20’s!) they stopped in for a reunion and a little R&R. Not much has changed over the years, but admittedly Jenn is not as outgoing as she used to be and took a little coaxing to give waterskiing and wakeboarding a try. And, we even had to water down her margarita?! But, she did readily agree to spend an afternoon tubing down the Cowichan River… a summer right of passage. Now, the roar of the Cowichan River didn’t exactly live up to its reputation and we floated, or more accurately, awkwardly struggled to paddle our tubes down the river for two hours (it’s hard to swim while holding a drink in your hand!). But, we finally reached the promised rapids and the last portion of the run delivered smiles and squeals and by time we pulled our tubes and sunburned bodies out of the water we agreed that it was a worthwhile way to spend the lazy days of summer. Jenn and I have lived miles apart for almost 10 years now, but I still felt deflated as she drove away. But, when you are soul sisters you may drift apart in distance, but never in your heart.

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

Every one needs at least one soul sister - someone who will tell you when the bikini really does make you look fat.
Love the images and new look of your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I feel the exact same way. And I also notice the changes in me :(. You are so talented and write so well! Maybe another career on the side? Cool pics too! Love Jenni