March 19, 2007

Great expectations

All trips do not turn out as planned. I was so looking forward to our 4-day family ski vacation to Whistler for Spring Break. Unfortunately, I soon learned that I would have to cut the trip short to head to Banff. How I came to visit two famed Canadian ski destinations in the same week is a total fluke and involves a big favour to friends currently sailing the French West Indies. I also wasn’t planning on coming down with the flu or getting pink eye… in both eyes! Everyone knows I love pink, but this was pushing it. Rain and heavy fog in Whistler created miserable conditions. Despite head to toe Gor-tex I was soaking wet and wind burnt my face as literally the only person on the mountain not wearing goggles. I also wasn’t wearing a helmet and had one of those falls where my head hit the ground before I even knew what was happening and pulled all the muscles down the right side of my neck. If only a little luck o’ the Irish had rubbed off on me at the St. Patrick’s Day party we attended maybe I wouldn’t have also lost my voice to top the weekend. Despite everything I still had a smile on my face by time I had to leave and was ready to do it all over again. But, to hell with Whistler… I’m going to Banff.

No comments: