March 2, 2007

Recalculating

“Why is Mulholland Drive so famous?” I asked as I navigated the hairpin turns of this scenic route above the congested traffic that is Los Angeles. “Because there are so many accidents,” the girls replied moments before the silver Mercedes Benz ran a red light directly into the vehicle I was driving. The only crash I want to associate with LA is the award-winning film, not the sight of my mint green bumper lying in the middle of the intersection at Laurel Canyon Drive and Crescent Heights. If the vehicle behind me hadn’t honked its horn to coax me forward when it did, the ending to this script could have been very different. There is nothing like that split second moment when you realize you are going to be hit and you are helpless, unable to react. You almost sit prepared to accept it as the scene plays in slow motion despite the speed at which it is happening. Thankfully no one was hurt and I was not at fault. Especially since we called 911 and were placed on hold for 10 minutes and when finally patched through to the LAPD were informed there was nothing they could, or would, do. Incidentally, it was at this moment that Emily claims to have spotted Cojo driving by… our only celebrity spotting for the week despite arriving in LA on Oscar night and touring the E! Network studios. Perhaps if Bernt Schmidt, the lawyer rushing to court who hit us, had greater celebrity things would have been different. Only in LA! I wonder what Lois was thinking during the accident... Without a doubt she was “recalculating.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your First Family is VERY thankful no one was injured, especially the Travel Girl. Mint green? yick...

M.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.