March 2, 2007

We are family

One week in Los Angeles and one week in San Francisco. Arguably a dream vacation for many, but two weeks in California on business has the potential to be a nightmare. Especially when I determined that my family would not be able to join me over the weekend. So, I decided if they can’t come to me, I will go to them... even if it meant I would only be home for little more than 24 hours. In the meantime I would have the company of my family-away-from-home… my travel-savvy colleagues… my sisters: Emily, Darlene, Janice and… Lois? Yep, this year we have a fifth lady travelling with us. A GPS system we lovingly named Lois. Well, it’s a love-hate relationship. I won’t say Lois wasn’t unplugged in frustration more than once as she repeated “Recalculating… recalculating…” as she led us astray or we disobeyed her directions. My travelling companions are smart, stylish, interesting, funny women and I am always grateful for their company and entertainment when on the road. I don’t know that Lois quite compares… mind you she did come with her own handbag… But, as the days rolled on and we became comfortable navigating our way around LA, we found common ground and warmed up to Lois. As I parted ways with the girls to head home, I sat in silence in a taxi enroute to LAX… a stark contrast to the time spent on LA’s freeways this week. I almost missed the noise… until I looked up and noticed a GPS mounted to the taxi’s windshield. Ah, Lois. She’s always got my back.

No comments: