June 23, 2007

Home sweet home

I have completed my business travel for the season and cannot tell you how happy this Travel Girl is to be home for awhile. For the next two months, the only place I’m going is Lake Cowichan. It was my fly guy’s dream to build a cottage here and the Lake House has become our summer holiday. We spend as much time here as we can. I never thought it would be possible to feel so at home yet so “away” only 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from the city. The area is beautiful and reminds me of growing up in Northwestern Ontario. Trees, trees and more trees. Oh, and a big lake. And, being in the Cowichan Valley temperatures can be up to five degrees hotter than in Victoria. Crucial for completing my summer ritual (which is taken so seriously it is also known as my second job)... the perfect tan. Ya, ya I know the health risks, but I come from a long line of sunbathers. My Grandma used to suntan in our backyard in her bra and my dad would come home on his lunch hour to lay out on an aluminum blanket. I have a duty to uphold. So, I’ll be "working" weekends on the dock until my next flight is boarding at the end of August. Hmm... now if we would only get some sun!

No comments: