June 3, 2007

Tools of the trade

We spent the entire weekend in Oak Bay at the 45th Annual Oak Bay Tea Party. We started early Saturday morning and took in everything from the parade to the amusement rides to the entertainment. We also took in hot dogs, French fries, the famous baron of beef, corn on the cob, mini donuts, cotton candy, ice cream and lemonade. Ugh... but, when in Rome. After spending too much money and too much time in the hot sun fighting the crowds and standing in line you’d think we would have had enough… but, no. We were back again on Sunday like a couple of greasy carnies ready to run away with the circus. Actually, the carnies were the cleanest, most well dressed and polite I’ve ever encountered… this was Oak Bay after all. We squeezed in the air show, the tea cup races and the women’s nail driving competition. I even stepped up to compete… safety goggles and all. But, I’m afraid my years of Girl Guides and shop class didn’t pay off and, I know you’ll be shocked to hear this, I didn’t advance to the finals. I think I'll keep my nails to manicures and pedicures. Plus, there’s always next year… and maybe we’ll actually have tea next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missed the finals by an inch I understand. While my vantage point was somewhat limited due to the fact I was waiting in line for ice cream, I know that you put in a Herculian effort in the ND contest. I have subsequently sent off a letter to the IOC asking that Women's ND be added to the Olympics.

The Travel Girl... said...

Thanks Coach!