June 1, 2007

Rock n' roll

I shouldn’t be so hard on Utah. The people are so nice and the scenery is bee-utiful! (Sorry, bad joke related to the last post). Plus, this actually wasn’t my first trip. I have been to Southern Utah on a circle tour of red rock country which is a must for every traveller in my opinion. Most of us know the distinct landscape from countless movies filmed in this region, but if you are like me you likely never stopped to think that it is actually Utah or assume it is always the bigger, more famous Grand Canyon of Arizona. There are so many red rock canyons in the south, however, that the ABC principle almost applies… Another Bloody Canyon! But, there are definitely a couple of musts including my favourite... Bryce Canyon. It is known for its Hoodoos and is arguably the most distinctive. We got up early one morning to watch the sun rise over the canyon changing the colour of the rock from purple to red to orange. What was most bizarre about this trip though… other than my first introduction to the mormon religion, was the use of segways at the last site we visited. It was really cool to try them, but who uses a motorized vehicle in a national park when you can hike?! Can you imagine what the old western cowboys would think of us if they saw us coming on one of these rolling pogo-sticks when you can practically walk faster?! They’d probably shoot us for our stupidity! Oh, that reminds me... I still haven’t rented Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

No comments: