September 26, 2007

In a new york minute

I am relieved to report that I have my brand spanking new passport in hand. After three months and only one week before travelling to NYC immediately followed by Great Britain, I was panicked to say the least. After a number of phone calls and a second set of passport photos, it was processed in 24 hours and I received it a day before my departure. I think there is something wrong when the little Asian man who runs the passport photo studio hidden in behind the daily mob-like line-up for Passport Canada’s office recognizes me every time I go in there and says, “You been in here before.” Between more than one passport application and various visas… yes, I have. And, my passport photo is, of course, terrible every time. However, after visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island while in NYC and learning about refugees from war-torn countries standing in line for six months to get a passport, some dying while waiting, my experience is nothing to complain about. As my grandparents immigrated from Sweden, my visit to Ellis Island was fairly poignant. And, the least I could do was take a few quiet hours to appreciate their journey before returning to the impatient rush of New York City. Besides, Lady Liberty has been standing and waiting for over 130 years... you go girl!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I'm happy for you - but also sad that I am not going to be able to watch you work the system. After seeing all those NY construction workings giving you the "look" - I can see how you managed to talk your way through the border in the first place.