September 29, 2007

Wasn't that a party

Today, we hosted the fly girl's 6th birthday party. The theme... PRINCESS. Trust me, there is no other word in a six-year-old's vocabulary. And, although my party experience has involved mixing martinis rather than Kool-Aid, I welcomed the opportunity. The ingredients may be different, but the recipe is the same. Plus, it's amazing how easy it is to host a party when you hire someone to do everything. I got a bit of the third degree from my mom about this for the years she single-handedly bundled up a gaggle of little girls to take them sliding or skating in the dead of winter and baked and decorated every one of my birthday cakes from scratch. My cakes WERE beautiful and I truly appreciate the fact that I have the type of mom that can bake, make or sew anything. Maybe next year. There was a bit of running around for party favours, balloons and anything with a princess, fairy or mermaid on it. But, if truth be told... it was fun. The only thing missing was the sunshine, but the kids kept warm by jumping in the bouncy castle. When the fly girl actually asked to go to bed, I knew it had been a successful day. As she snuggled into me to read bedtime books and fell asleep before her head hit the pillow I couldn't help, but think... "Worth every penny!"

No comments: