September 3, 2007

Straightened out

I am no supermodel. That I am well aware of, but I know that I can turn it on when I need to. This doesn’t mean that I “dumb down” to get what I want, but c’mon… who hasn’t flashed a smile and batted their eyelashes to get out of a speeding ticket? This week I travelled to sunny (and humid as hell!) San Diego. Unfortunately this business trip was somewhat unscheduled and I am currently without my passport. But, luckily I have Nexus Air which can be used in lieu… or so I thought. Wrong. Long story short, I put my best female foot forward to the male customs agents and was allowed to travel anyway. The event I attended was the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association Convention and I quickly found that the delegates, although extremely congenial, had absolutely no interest in me or what I had to say. Well, duh... I’m not gay. I was shocked to realize just how much I rely on female charm to do my job. This crowd wasn’t having any of it except for one lone lesbian who thought I was cute and bought me a drink. I felt terrible guilt, however, as she was so sweet and I was so straight. Oh well, I made the best of the weekend and tried to learn and absorb all that I could from this inspiring community. Boarding my plane to return home, the male passenger in front of me chatted politely and then turned to me and said, “Why don’t you go ahead… you have pretty hair.” A bizarre comment, but I thought, “I’m back, baby!” I’m going home… straight home.

No comments: