November 2, 2007

Trick or treat

In our Brady Bunch of a family, there are three shared holidays: Halloween, Christmas and the fly girl's birthday. Oddly, Halloween has become quite a meaningful holiday for me. And no, I am not confusing sentiment with a sugar high. After my fly guy and I started dating, it was on Halloween night that the fly girl really warmed to me for the first time. After trick or treating, she crawled out of her costume and into my lap as we sat in the bay window of the living room watching what seemed like our own private fireworks show as Halloween revellers set off firecrackers in the park across the street. I had my first taste of what special everyday moments with her would feel like and I glowed brighter than our jack o' lanterns. So, it was with great dismay that I learned she would not trick or treat in our neighbourhood this year. Despite having bought candy for 50+ kids, I quickly made the decision to close up shop in order to go out with her across town. I felt like a total scrooge and our carved pumpkins would go unlit, but it was either this or not see her at all on Halloween. With a costume made with love by her mother and grandmother, she was the epitome of Tinkerbell. Light on her feet, full of spirit and cute as a button. But, as she had a total meltdown at the end of the night I didn't mind one bit that she was going home. I'll savour my memories as this year's treat. That, and the leftover candy.

No comments: