May 6, 2007

Duck, duck, goose

There are two mallard ducks living at the end of my street. It is bizarre. As a girl who grew up in rural Ontario, it is strange for me to think that some ducks, deer, etc. live in the city. But, I migrated to the Big City so I guess they can too. Anyway, as previously posted everyone knows I am afraid of birds, but it doesn’t mean I can’t sometimes appreciate them. I think mallards, at least the males, are really beautiful and I love that mallards are always paired off in couples. I think it is nice, romantic even, that the male always seems to stand by his mate watching out for her. Case in point… this week I witnessed a “duck fight.” In downtown Victoria I should add (see comment above about wildlife in the city). It seemed to be a love triangle of sorts… One male was attacking a female and another male was attacking him trying to protect her… rolling around on the sidewalk and under a parked car. It was awful so I didn't stick around to see how it ended. I had to trust that nature would sort itself out. Hmm… maybe I should have re-thought the shredded duck pizza with spiced soy glaze I had for dinner at Blackberry on Friday night.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Who knew, the secret lives of ducks!