May 26, 2007

Farm folk, city folk

I have spent the past 24 hours in the country… the Cowichan Valley to be exact. I was invited to overnight at Fairburn Farm and enjoy an asparagus dinner prepared by students from the Slow Food University in Italy. An invitation too good to pass up. So, I packed my jammies and my good friend Georgi into the car and headed to the warm land. We decided to make the drive worth our while and visited a couple of wineries and artisan producers along the way. When we arrived at the farm, we were served handmade pizza baked in an outdoor wood-fired oven as we drank crisp Pinot Gris in the hot sun. We were also welcomed by Fairburn Farm’s resident herd of water buffalo. What I did not find upon my arrival, however, was my toothbrush! What kind of Travel Girl forgets her toothbrush of all things? Normally a quick trip down to the hotel’s amenity shop would solve the problem, but this was a country B&B. Luckily, I was able to intercept a friend enroute to the farm who saved the day by bringing me a brand new toothbrush. Thanks Bridget! We had a lovely evening dining on the veranda while breathing in the fresh country air scented with lilacs and hay. There is definitely something to life in the country… well, until you are asked to clean out the chicken coop. Plus, you can always take a little bit of the country with you. I came home with a trunk full of wine, maple syrup, fresh bread and artisan cheese… oh, and a new blue toothbrush.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.