May 20, 2007

Nacho mamas

Today I participated in my first Half Marathon… and won! I’m not kidding. However, note I said participated. Oh I ran, but I ran 5k of the total 21k. I was part of a relay team stacked with Running Room buddies: Georgi, Deryn and our ringer Rochelle who is fresh off the Boston Marathon. Together, we were the Nacho Mamas. Don’t ask about the name… It was a special request by Deryn. Apparently there is a story behind it, she just can’t remember what it is, but has always wanted to be on a team called the Nacho Mamas. Dreams really can come true! Incidentally none of us are mothers so we took to pronouncing it, “Not ch-your mama” in our best prison bitch accent. Anyway, our official time (despite the rain, the lame sash used to represent the baton and the fact that I was supposed to run the shortest leg and ended up running the 2nd longest… surprise!) was 1:38:42. We won the Women’s Open division and placed 10th overall! But wait, it gets better… the post-race festivities included pizza, chips and chocolate bars! Unfortunately we didn’t know we did so well so we skipped the medal presentations for brunch at Floyd’s, but oh well. And, no we did not have huevos rancheros… or nachos!

No comments: