May 28, 2007

Meaty goodness

If you can’t get to the east coast, bring the east coast to you… by Fedex. On Saturday night we were invited by Team George to an East Coast Donair Party. Our only instructions were to wear stretchy pants. What is a donair, you ask? Apparently it is the local delicacy in Nova Scotia. It is basically a spicy brown substance that claims to be meat heaped on a pita with onions, tomatoes and a special sauce. Apparently it is all about the sauce. It is big and it is messy, but is to be eaten with your hands. It is so popular in fact that Damascus Pizza in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia (that’s where Jesus lives by the way) will ship their donairs anywhere in the world. Unable to find an authentic donair on the west coast (or at least a good sauce… see I warned you about the sauce), our east coast hosts decided to go directly to the source. They had the donairs couriered across the country and straight into the stomachs of their west coast friends. And, I have to say for all my ridicule after I had my first east coast donair… I got it. To quote my friend, Red… Sauce, good. My God, those donairs were good! Thank you Georgi… and, thank you Jesus.

No comments: