February 2, 2007

DAM… they’ve got good art

Have you ever been to Denver? No offense to the Mile High City, but there is NOTHING to do there. My first trip to Denver found me asking everyone what I should see and do? And the response was, “Oh, you have to go to Cherry Creek!” Great, I thought. The local ski resort? A beautiful park in which to run or hike? A hip neighbourhood to explore? Nope. Turns out it’s a shopping centre. So, when in Denver I shop. This year, however, the Denver Art Museum (DAM) finally opened their new building designed by Daniel Libeskind; the same architect who was chosen to re-build the World Trade Centre in NYC. I have been waiting years for the modern, angular building to be complete and was so excited to visit that I even bought my ticket on-line before arriving in Denver. The collection was minimal compared to other major U.S. art museums, but I wasn’t so much interested in what was in the frame as the frame itself.


No comments: