February 2, 2007

We built this city

That’s the ditty I chose to belt out like I myself was Jefferson Starship while singing karaoke for the first time on a recent visit to Vancouver. The theme of the trip: An Asian Vacation in Vancouver. First stop: Aberdeen Centre in Richmond. What is this place? I had never heard of a single store in the shopping centre; each one Asian and every vendor in the food court offering authentic Asian fare. Thankfully there were photos depicting the menu options. I played it safe with sticky pork buns and hot and sour soup… oh, and an ice tea. O.K. I guess not everything in the mall is Asian. And, I was determined to return for soft serve red bean ice cream; a fly guy favourite. Next stop: The Daiso. A Japanese dollar store where everything is $2. The challenge: To practice the Japanese ritual of gift giving by purchasing a gift for one of our colleagues. I selected a pack of fake disposable cameras filled with candy. On to Granville Island for a Sake tasting, hopped an aquabus to Yaletown for a 10-course dinner at a Japanese isakaya and then the show-stopper… karaoke! I thought about faking sick to get out of it, but by the end of the night you couldn’t pry the microphone out of my hand. Except while Emily was singing Hungry Eyes by Patrick Swayze for the third time!

1 comment:

The Travel Girl... said...

P.S. We also saw Sting sitting in the lobby of our hotel! I know he's not Asian, but it is well known that he is into tantric sex so does that qualify?