February 12, 2007

If you can’t stand the heat

Get out of Arizona. This is the message I am promoting to Arizonians this week in Phoenix-Scottsdale to encourage them to visit our neck of the woods when it is hotter than hell here in the summer. My first visit to Arizona was last year at the beginning of June and I have never experienced a destination so hot. At its hottest that week it was 112 degrees. The closest heat I have experienced has been in Thailand, but it is humid and Arizona, as everyone keeps telling me, is a “dry” heat. Ya, like that makes it bearable. Scottsdale is the definition of urban sprawl smack dab in the middle of the desert with nothing for miles except giant saguaros. And, I wondered if I would see “one?!” But, I like it. It is true to its unique landscape and architecture. Plus, how can I not like a destination that inspired Frank Lloyd Wright to build Taliesen West. Visiting in February this year has made a world of difference to the temperatures. But, it could stand to be a little hotter.

No comments: